Friday, November 23, 2012

So yesterday was my first Thanksgiving away from home.  It was also, incidentally, the first Thanksgiving I have ever hosted.  Hosting and doing some of the cooking was stressful enough, thank god I didn't have to make the turkey!

Coordinating everything, tracking down a turkey, cooking all day -- I feel like everything leading up to Thanksgiving dinner was just one stressful mini-crisis after another.  But in the end, things went pretty well, we got food on the table, and the American residents of Grønjords kollegium had a nice traditional American Thanksgiving, complete with turkey and football.  Even if I totally hoarded all of the cranberry sauce myself.

Hosting Thanksgiving dinner was kind of a bittersweet thing -- it felt really cool and grown-up to be doing something like that, and we all know how much I love to cook and bake (I made a pie!), but it also felt really wrong to be so far away from my family on a day that has always been so much about family for me.

This year, I am so very thankful for my friends -- those who came to Denmark with me, those who I've met here, and the ones who I still can't imagine life without even if they're a few thousand miles away right now -- and for my family, who have been nothing but supportive, albeit a little bit crazy, about this whole journey.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel that I've had, and I'm thankful that in less than a month I will be home with the people I love.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, darling readers.

Thankfully,
Rachel Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!