Sunday, August 3, 2014

Esther Day

It's been nearly two months since I last posted something.

And I feel bad about that.

But today is Esther Day, and I think that's a suitable reason to break my silence.

Esther Day is a day that is named after Esther Grace Earl.  It is also her birthday.  Several years ago, Esther told John and Hank Green that she wanted her birthday to be a day when people celebrate non-romantic love (love between friends, familial love, all kinds of not-romcom love).  She also wanted it to be the one day that John and Hank tell each other that they love each other.

I say "wanted" because Esther passed away after a battle with thyroid cancer.  Esther Day is her legacy.

It's kind of cool to think there's a day devoted to non-romantic love, because romantic love monopolizes so much of our attention, that somehow the other forms of love are made to seem less valid or less worthy.  And they're not.  They're a hugely important part of what makes us unique and functional human beings -- the capacity to love and be loved in return, especially in familial and platonic fashions.

So Happy Esther Day.  I love you all.  Please take the time to tell the people YOU love that you love them.

Don't Forget to be Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!