Saturday, May 22, 2010

On...Trending?

Okay, I'll admit it, internet community:
I'm a trending junkie.



Seems weird, right? But my desktop homepage [at least for the shared computer (I personally am an iGoogle nut)] includes the Yahoo! "Trending Now" box, and I check it several times a day.



Can someone please explain to me the sudden surge in searches for Val Kilmer?

I love trending because it gives me some sort of insight into the global universal consciousness, which is pretty damn cool, if I do say so myself. As an attempted intellectual and concerned global citizen, however, I have to voice a little concern that the brilliant technology which allows us to tap into the international collective overmind has revealed that the most pressing thing on the minds of many, many people around the world is...Pee-Wee Herman? Really?


I certainly wouldn't expect people to be searching for the answers to the great questions of life, the universe, and everything (because we all already know that's 42 anyway), but I feel like this kind of opportunity, the ability to find out what is on the minds of the world at large at any given moment by searching their searches is rather wasted on Heidi Montag's latest plastic surgery (she's already 98% silicone, is her new boob job REALLY that important?) or the fact that Miley Cyrus was caught on tape grinding at a party (WAIT, teenagers dance suggestively? Where has my wholesome America of the 1950s gone?!?!).


My point is pretty simple: I like trending. I like knowing what the people of the world are thinking right at any given moment, and trending analysis is a pretty fantastic way to achieve that. But come on, international cyber community: couldn't you have something a little more worthwhile on your minds to search for?


Like...my blog? (Kidding)


Psychically tapping into the global consciousness,
Rachel Leigh

1 comment:

  1. "WAIT, teenagers dance suggestively? Where has my wholesome America of the 1950s gone?!?!"

    Hahahahahahahahaha. That made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!