Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On The Internet

So. Hey. I'm 20. They don't warn you that birthdays kind of suck in the years between 16 and 20 (I mean, I kind of liked 18 but that's just because I wanted to vote). They're a lovely reminder that you have (insert multiple of 365) days until something important happens. Namely, turning 21. And then after that, more of the pointless birthdays.


But that is not the point of this post. I just thought I'd share that with you guys, my darling, darling readers.

My question for today is why various internet outlets (particularly social media outlets) want me to sync up all of my accounts. No, I don't want to follow the people that I'm friends with on facebook on Twitter...unless, that is, I know them well enough to know I actually have an interest in what they have to say. I do not WANT my internet persona to become some massively-integrated single entity. I mean, a younger me (okay, a current me) was (is) an obsessive user of Harry Potter fansites. I don't WANT that to become a part of what my facebook friends or my blog readers see of me.

Yes, I understand that the whole point is so they can get a better profile of the sites you use, the things you like, and the people you know, so that, ultimately, they can better market to you. But I don't want that. I just want to use every major social media site WITHOUT converging them all together. Is that so much to ask?

When that "Would you like to link this account to Facebook?" option comes up...burn it. Kill it with fire.

Yours in internet anonymity (ha),
Rachel Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!