Wednesday, August 8, 2012

On Weirdness

I think it's funny how someone's response when I call them weird is always to shoot back, "No, you're weird!"  I mean, yes, I am.  I'm totally weird.  I'm like the weirdest person I know.  But why does MY being weird preclude your ability to be weird?  Does my being tall somehow stop other people from being tall?
 
I can understand noting the hypocrisy, if I were somehow saying that you're a bad person because you are weird, but it's not like that.  You may have done or said something that I found odd because it doesn't make sense to me or it's unconventional.  That doesn't make it bad, but it does make it, at least to me, weird.  Why does the fact that I am also a weird person somehow make you not-weird?
 
One of my favorite quotes comes from Dr. Seuss: "We're all a little weird, and life is weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."  The fact that you're weird doesn't make you somehow less -- it makes you capable of mutual weirdness.  But just because I point it out, doesn't mean you have to go "Nuh uh, you are!" like I just called you smelly on the playground.
 
Embrace the weirdness -- but recognize it.
 
Yours in mutual weirdness,
Rachel Leigh

1 comment:

Please let me know what you think!