Saturday, December 10, 2011

On The Art

Darling readers,

As my last post may have indicated, it's Exam Week.  Or, rather, it is currently the study period between last week's exams and the remaining two days of exams.  And I may have exams during both of those days.  As it were, I am currently dealing with my concern over those exams by...ignoring them completely.  I did some practice problems for my exam, but realistically, my mechanism for coping with stress often involves pretending it doesn't exist.

Thus, I have come to master, slightly, the art of procrastination.  I call it an art because in order to keep your mind off of the things you should be doing, it often helps to have a long list of things that you are doing which can easily keep you distracted.  Currently, I've found the following methods helpful:
  1. Find an Addiction:  I've developed a tradition over the last three semesters -- go on Netflix, pick a show.  Begin watching.  As of about episode 4 of whatever series, you may find it hard to turn the computer off.  First semester -- Firefly.  Second semester -- That 70s Show.  This semester -- Burn Notice.
  2. Study Breaks:  Nothing quite puts forth the image that you've been working hard quite like a run to Starbucks or a game of Mario Kart with a few friends to blow off steam.  No one needs to know that the steam you need to blow off was built up by getting angry at stupid videos on the internet (especially videos about people being Strong).
  3. The Internet:  Obvious answer.  Cracked. CTL. FML. TFLN. Reddit. Twitter. YouTube.  Come on, this is amateur stuff.
  4. Be Productive:  Seems kind of counter-intuitive, but the thing that most easily distracts me from working is being productive...on something else.  Clean your room, do some laundry or dishes, write for your blog, read a textbook...for another class.  As long as you're being productive somehow, it's a lot easier to ignore your lack of productivity in one specific area.
Master the art, young grasshopper, and you too can stay sane during exams.

Procrastinating With the Best of Them,
Rachel Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!