Tuesday, January 8, 2013

On Being Out of Shape

It's no secret -- I am entirely unathletic.  Made of tiny little wrists and next-to-no-muscle-mass and lungs that are ready to give out at any given moment, the idea of working out has never exactly appealed to me.  I mean, seriously, I get out of breath just THINKING about having to walk across campus.  And let's not even talk about how much I felt like dying after walking up the steps to Prague Castle.  Take my word for it, I have spent most of my life so out of shape that it was actually pretty laughable.

Which, of course, has sparked this never-ending cycle of not wanting to work out because I was so out of shape, and being out of shape because I didn't want to work out.  I've been trying over the last couple of months to be better about that, and I think to some extent it's been working pretty well.

The big question is going to be whether I can keep up this good behavior when I get back to school, or whether the lure of D-Hall fried chicken and being "too busy" (watching Netflix) to go to the gym will win out.

I've always had an odd relationship with working out, a combination of disliking how out of shape I was and feeling so helpless and overwhelmed (and, okay, I admit, lazy) to even know where to start to make it better.

Ohwell, here's hoping I can keep it up in the coming months.  If not, you have my permission to hit me.

"Round is a shape, right?"
Rachel Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!