Monday, July 9, 2012

On Graffiti and the DB of the Day

Here's the thing: I love graffiti. I think a well-executed tag in the right place adds one of the coolest possible touches to an urban landscape. Aside from that, there are very few things in the world that I find as cool as spray paint.
But there's a difference between a really cool, artistically-executed signature tag on an abandoned building, and some of the crap I've seen in the last couple days. I live in a relatively small town, not particularly known for its crime, and I'll admit, the first time I saw what looked like a non-sensical tagline spray-painted on a billboard that I didn't even like anyway, I laughed.

But seeing the same tagline spray-painted on the side of a small business that had just been opened (and had the building re-done in the process)? That just makes me angry. A good tagger is an artist -- Banksy is a legend who uses spray-paint as a medium to convey intense messages about politics and society in creative and highly-public way. Someone who thinks its cool to paint a penis on the side of a mailbox or their pseudo-intellectual "tagger name" on the side of a building is nothing more than an asshole.
So today's DBotD Award goes to -- that guy. You know who you are. And you're just a dick.
Angrily yours,
Rachel Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!