Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Metablogging

This is what I shall call "metablogging." It consists of any time that I blog about blogging.

I find it really funny, blogging. Just the word is funny. But more than that, I think the concept is funny. The fact that thousands of people around the planet convince themselves that enough people are interested in hearing their opinions that they end up posting their innermost thoughts and feelings on the internet. It's really quite funny.

Unless you're a celebrity or the things you say are particularly insightful, the rest of the world probably doesn't care about what you did today, or your reflections about a cup of coffee.

Of course, I lump myself in with this sillyness. I, of course, post every day and frequently wonder what people think of the things I'm saying. The fact of the matter, though, is that most of the world really just doesn't care that much. Sure, a few of my close friends will probably read this when I post a link to the latest entry on facebook, and maybe it will come up if colleges or future employers decide to Google me as the internet safety lectures try and convince me will happen. But aside from that, the likelihood that this blog will be noticed by anyone, and therefore be read by anyone, is fairly small.

So I shall continue my blogging and my metablogging, but really...why?

Meta-love,
Rachel Leigh

1 comment:

  1. Not true, I'm afraid. I don't know you, yet here I am, reading. I'm a 31-year-old librarian from Minnesota--you and I have little in common, but I found you and I'm reading.

    And employers DO check your internet history. I've had several interviews where they referenced things about me that they could have only known because of a Google search. I was even asked why I don't have a Facebook page. My current employer told me she likes my writing style, based on my blog. So, while they do spout those warnings as a cautionary tale, and they should be taken with a grain of salt, be prepared for the fact that someone looking to employ you MAY research you and judge you on it.

    But, FWIW, I like your style.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!